What about visual triggers?

A place for general discussion.
julimy

What about visual triggers?

Postby julimy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:20 pm

I have the usual sound triggers, but it seems as though for me, visual triggers are even worse. Mostly repetitive motions, whether seen out of the corner of my eye or full-on: foot tapping or leg swinging, jaws moving while chewing, the motions of eating a bag of potato chips (hand from bag to mouth, bag to mouth, of course exacerbated by the sound of the bag and the crunching), motions from using smart devices (tap, scroll, scroll, scroll, tap). Most irritating of all is someone playing with or stroking their hair. Anytime I'm faced with these and other visual triggers (and that's pretty much every day, on the NYC subway), I can't control shutting my eyes. I used to like reading on the subway to work, but all of these motions are so prevalent that I just can't do it. Anybody else have problems with visual triggers, or do I have some other neurological condition on top of misophonia?

-Julie M

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Aoife

Re: What about visual triggers?

Postby Aoife » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:40 am

I also have a problem with visual triggers! I read somewhere that it's called Misokinesia and it's related to misophonia but I'm not sure cause I'm not a doctor or anything (here's the website I read it on <https://www.allergictosound.com/articles/misokinesia/>).
I'm glad I found someone with the same problem as me :D
-Aoife

julimy

Re: What about visual triggers?

Postby julimy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Aoife, thanks for the link to to the article on misokinesia. There were so many comments on it! It's pretty surprising how many people are out there who have this condition.

-Julie M

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Return to “General”