How to block loud trigger noises

Success Stories, Tips, Tools and Coping Suggestions.
overjive

How to block loud trigger noises

Postby overjive » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:00 am

Several years ago I needed to block out some pretty loud trigger noises, and here's what brought me comfort:

I spent $300 on Bose noise cancelling headphones (QC25 are their best now). SMS Audio Street by 50-ANC and Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7b are reduced priced options. Many headphones apply pressure to the sides of the head and become painful after hours of use. If you get them from Best Buy and keep the packaging, you can return them for a 100% refund.

I bought earplugs, wore them inside the headphones, and cranked up the volume. The earplugs protected my hearing. Hearos Ultimate Softness Series are available at most pharmacies (or Amazon.com), and they get high marks for blocking noise and all-day comfort. There are instructions on the back regarding how to insert them.

If you need more blocking, you can cut off the outermost quarter inch (6 mm) of the foam earplugs, and seal your outer ear with silicone earplugs like Mack's Pillow Soft brand. Then you can turn up the blocking noise even louder without damaging your hearing. Some people prefer silicone over the foam types.

There are several types of blocking noises to play on your headphones, including brown, pink, and white. Noise loops can be bought on iTunes (by Sounds for Life), or if you go to simplynoise.com, you can experiment with which one is best for your particular noise. Music is not the best blocker since it has quiet moments.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Mockingjayhunger2263

Re: How to block loud trigger noises

Postby Mockingjayhunger2263 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Just be careful when buying headphones that you're not avoiding tough situations. I would get headphones because it's good to have a little exposure and a little quiet time

Shaddap

Postby Shaddap » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:59 am

There are also 10 hour videos of (pink, brown, etc) noise for free on YouTube that has been helping me a lot, especially pink. I use it when I need to concentrate or while sleeping, with an inexpensive pair of earbuds. Since listening to the noise by itself for extended periods of time gives me a weird headache, I like to "layer" the noise with music I enjoy so that it fills in the quiet moments in or between songs, high enough to drown out the noises that bother me, but low enough that it doesn't interfere with my tunes.

As for exposure and quiet time; I get plenty of exposure to noise, even ones I can live without, but exposure has never made it better. I simply try to tolerate it for as long as I can or have to (like at work). Quiet time is always nice, but if I can hear a TV blaring through the wall or loud snoring, it's not exactly quiet.

ugh

Postby ugh » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:44 am

Personally, I prefer thunderstorm or wave sounds to white/pink/brown noise. I think they're pretty good alternatives. I always take earplugs and earbuds with me to school-- earbuds for free time, earplugs for tests when you can't have your phone out.
~Alexis~

Disable adblock

Shaddap

Postby Shaddap » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:19 pm

I've tried actual rain and thunder tracks, but like music, they have quieter moments that don't seem to drown out triggers.

I think everyone who suffers with misophonia might find it helpful to experiment with all of the masking possibilities to find the one that works best for them, whether it be natural sounds, 'rainbow noise', or something else. Noise other than pink has not worked well for me (as far as all the colors available) and even that is only tolerable because it sounds like steady, heavy rain or a waterfall. Also, I've found only certain recordings of pink noise are tolerable and 'just right' for me as some are too high or too low pitched, which is probably more to do with the quality of the recording than the noise itself. I rarely use earplugs at this point as long as the triggers can be masked because they seemed to have induced hyperacusis - I'm double whammied there.

Honestly, sometimes I'd like to just have some plain old peace and quiet.

Disable adblock

Return to “Success Stories & Coping”