Please help...

A place for family, friends and co workers of people with misophonia to share experiences and offer support to to each other.
nikkinak

Please help...

Postby nikkinak » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I've come on here in the hope that I may gain further insight into Misophonia and the way in which it manifests itself (if that's the correct term to use?) in it's sufferers.

I have a basic understanding but am particularly interested in knowing, is it typical/unusual/unheard of for a trigger to be a sound (in this case eating and plastic wrapper rustling) made by a specific person/persons? My (17 year old) daughter only appears to have unmanageable issues at home (with myself and my son,21) with these sounds and appears more able to cope being around other people outside of the home and in the company of others at home.

The situation is causing a great deal of stress for everyone at home, not least of all for my daughter... the personal nature is what I'm trying to understand. I have offered to support her in exploring different therapies and have suggested she try earplugs, both of which she has declined to engage in. She has told me that she is paying for a therapist online but is not happy/willing to talk with me about the advice she is being given. I've seen no mention of Misophonia manifesting itself in this way and am trying to seek advice about the best approach to dealing with this particular situation.

Any words of wonder that can be offered would be gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

AltaMarea

Re: Please help...

Postby AltaMarea » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Yes! I've also wondered about the specifically personal nature of this phenomenon! Why only with certain people and not all people? For example, my sister has Level 5-6 reactions when her husband is eating cereal, but absolutely zero when her 4-year-old daughter eats cereal! And my daughter has an extreme reaction to me clearing my throat and seeing my hands but when her dad clears his throat or fidgets with his hands it doesn't bother her at all! Why is that?? Does anybody know??

nesterdron

View first unread post

Postby nesterdron » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:53 pm

That could be done BUT it would have to entail keeping a cookie on your computer to implement this feature.

I doubt that this is going to happen - at least for the first installment of the new software.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Return to “Family / Friends / Co-workers”