Risperidone (Risperdal) and similar for misophonia

Please post your medication experiences. Always speak to your doctor before taking any medications.
ZeNeece

Risperidone (Risperdal) and similar for misophonia

Postby ZeNeece » Wed May 25, 2016 5:16 am

I've been on Risperdal for about 20 years for misophonia.

A psychiatrist put me on it because she said it was a part of the brain that was overreacting. I can't remember what her idea was for using it off-label, because it was so long ago and misophonia didn't really exist back then, but she seemed to have an idea of how to treat it.
Risperdal is an antipsychotic, so I'm sure most people wouldn't be interested in trying it.

But for me it definitely takes the edge off of the panic and rage I feel when people make noises near me.
I have to take a low dose because it causes fatigue and tiredness. A higher dose definitely helps more, but makes me so tired I can't function.
I take 2.5 mg I believe, and it is a life saver.

I don't care that it's got side effects. It keeps me from killing my beloved husband (well, from thinking about killing him) and lets me eat in the same room as him (although he has to sit at least 10 feet away from me and the tv has to be on loud, but otherwise I would have to leave the room).

It also lets me spend an evening with unsupportive, noisy friends and not kill them. I do still wear earplugs then, but if I didn't take the risperdal, I couldn't go there at all without feeling like I was going to die or go on a murdering spree (and I'm a really nice person, really! I don't want to hurt a fly so it's just the fear and hatred of sound. I really don't want to hurt anyone!)

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Return to “Medication”