Parents

A forum for teenagers ages 14 through 17 to discuss the issues brought on by misophonia. Introductions, questions and suggestions for coping methods are welcome, as well as any topic that relates to the effects of misophonia on teenagers (under 18). This is NOT a forum for adults to advise teenagers.
rasphberryarces

Parents

Postby rasphberryarces » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:18 am

I don't know if there's already a topic thread about this or not, but is there any way to gently tell your parents that they trigger you? I've tried in the past to tell my parents but they brush it off as nothing. My dad is one of the loudest eaters I know. Every single type of food or drink he can somehow eat loudly. They (my parents) know I don't like the sound of it but he gets really offended. I don't want to hurt him, but he doesn't get how bad this condition actually is. After asking him to stop for about a year or so and it not really working I just stopped asking, but I still have to plug my ears discretely at the dinner table. This comes off as rude to them and so I try not to do it, but more things are triggering me just in anticipation of hearing him. I've gone to a therapist for slightly different reasons before and tried to tell them that I had this, but they didn't seem to have any clue what misophonia was.My parents had me stop going after like two sessions anyways because they saw it as too expensive. How do I try to explain this to my parents or get them to be more empathetic? I know nobody wants to admit to themselves the possibility that they could be doing something wrong parenting-wise, but they still need to understand.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Aoife

Re: Parents

Postby Aoife » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:04 am

Hi. I don't really have any helpful comments, but I wanted to let you know that I'm going through the same thing. My mam and Siobhan (my sister) both do stuff that trigger me and get upset when I ask them to stop. I would suggest just asking nicely or leaving the room. Neither are very good suggestions, but they're the best I've got right now. If anyone has any better suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

–Aoife

IDK

Re: Parents

Postby IDK » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:12 am

I went for months suffering from misophonia before I actually told anyone. I started off by telling my best friend which helped a lot. Eventually I had to tell my parents why I would never stay around them when they were eating or making a trigger noise for me. It was hard explaining and it took them a while to understand but the best thing to do is you have to try make them understand how serious it actually is. My mum didn't really understand for ages and I was always getting into trouble for having my headphones in at restaurants and yelling at my sister (who is the loudest eater ever) so I sent her links to websites and youtube videos and eventually she was helping me as much as she could. I don't like not sitting with my family at meals and finding it hard to sit with friends at lunch but I manage to get through it with my headphones in, they don't pay much attention. I hope your parents will understand too.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Return to “Teenagers Only”